Chingano Short Story Prize is calling on secondary school students in Kenya to submit their fictional short stories for its maiden annual writing competition, which has opened today 18th September 2019 and will close on 5th November 2019. We crave for fresh content: stories that will hook us till the end, stories that will make us laugh, cry and question the way things are done, stories that will transport us to places we have never been before. We want to have a great time reading your story. The readers and judges will do blind reading. The judges’ decision is final.
The judges will be announced in the course of next week. The top three stories will be announced in December, with prizes as follows:
Winner – Ksh. 10000
1st runners up – Ksh. 7000
2nd runners up – Ksh. 5000
Please note that payments will be made via mpesa.
- Send your story to email@example.com
- Email subject should be your name & title of the story eg Jane Doe – The Boy Next Door.
- The story must be typed and written in English.
- Only one story will be allowed per writer. Simultaneous submissions are not welcome.
- Maximum word count is 2500 words.
- Use font size 12, spacing of 1.5, font type Georgia.
- Have a title for your story.
- Please edit exhaustively and ensure your work is free of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors for ease of advancing to the next stage of selection. We encourage you to work with your teachers.
- The first page should contain ONLY the following:
- Name of the writer
- School and county– e.g. Dagoretti High School – Nairobi County (this is for verification that the writer is enrolled in a Kenyan secondary school by the time of submission and will help us in tracing the writers)
- Address of the school
- Phone number ( it can be yours, your parent’s/guardian’s or a teacher’s)
- Number of words in your story
- Begin your story in page 2, just below the title.
- Ensure your paragraphs are distinct. Indent your paragraphs or skip a line when beginning a new paragraph.
- Send your story as a word document attachment (docx) and name it using the title of your story. Do not send as PDF.
- Do not paste the story in the body of the email.
- Any plagiarized work will be disqualified. Be sure to write the story yourself.
- Please do not send poetry, plays or non-fiction pieces for this year’s competition.
- All students who think their stories have what it takes are encouraged to submit. Four form students are encouraged to submit too because awarding will be done on individual basis, not school.
By submitting your story, you are giving us the right to publish it in www.chingano.com, an online blog for creative writing. The stories that will appear in the website will bear the writers’ names, thus all credit will go to them. In case you do not want your story to appear in the website, please DO NOT SUBMIT. Any questions about the competition can be sent to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org